Codes and Frequencies
HISPAN identifies persons of Hispanic/Spanish/Latino origin and classifies them according to their country of origin when possible. Origin is defined by the Census Bureau as ancestry, lineage, heritage, nationality group, or country of birth. People of Hispanic origin may be of any race; see RACE for a discussion of coding issues involved.
The HISPAN general code covers country-of-origin classifications common to all years; the detailed code distinguishes additional groups and subgroups.
- United States 1850 (100%): All persons
- United States 1850 (1%): All persons
- United States 1860: All persons
- United States 1870: All persons
- United States 1880 (100%): All persons
- United States 1880 (10%): All persons
- United States 1900: All persons
- United States 1910: All persons
- United States: 1850a, 1850b, 1860, 1870, 1880a, 1880b, 1900, 1910