Codes and Frequencies
FRANCNAM identifies persons with French surnames, based on comparisons of surnames with lists of French surnames. It will primarily be of interest to researchers interested in French-Canadian migration to the United States.
The list of French surnames was constructed from the 1881 Canadian census using the ORIGIN variable. Any last name for which 90 per cent of the people identified as being of French (code 1100), French Canadian (code 1500), or Acadian (code 1600) origin was regarded as a French last name.
While this variable could be constructed for other samples than the Canadian or United States censuses, its applicability would be limited. Users interested in the list of French surnames may contact the NAPP staff for further information.
- Canada 1852: All persons
- Canada 1871: All persons
- Canada 1881: All persons
- Canada 1891: All persons
- Canada 1901: All persons
- United States 1850a: All persons
- United States 1850b: All persons
- United States 1870: All persons
- United States 1880b: All persons
- United States 1900: All persons
- United States 1910: All persons
- Canada: 1852, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901
- United States: 1850a, 1850b, 1860, 1870, 1880b, 1900, 1910